Monday, November 29, 2010

Zamzam

I drank some Zamzam water. It comes from the well next to the ka’bah. My Arab teacher brought me some. (She went to Hajj.) Suppose to have healing powers. Depends on your own faith I believe, but I loved her gesture and though it was so awesome. Holy water. Wow!

“When Abraham migrated with his wife Hagar and son Ishmael to a valley without plants or water, known today as Makkah, he left them there with only one bag containing dates and an old water-skin filled with water. When the water ran out and Hagar became worried about her son, she climbed up the rocky hillock of As-Safaa to see if she could see anyone. As she didn’t see anyone, she went down the hillock and quickly made her way to the hillock of Al-Marwah which she also climbed up to see if there was anyone in sight. She ran between these two hillocks seven times. (They still to that to this day at Hajj) When she stood on Al-Marwah for the last time, she heard a voice and then she saw an angel standing on the site of Zamzam digging the earth with his heel until water flowed from that place.”

… The best water on the face of the earth is the water of Zamzam …
          … The water of Zamzam serves the purpose for which it is drunk …

Taken from A Concise Children’s Encyclopedia of Islam. “Concise” and “Children’s” is about as much as I can handle and understand. There’s a lot I still don’t understand. I sometimes find it just so outrageous and archaic. Not to mention the extremism and abuse towards women. What I do understand, however, is that Islam, in its intent, is not evil. I have been exposed to its good side, and have come to understand, there is a good side too.

No comments:

Post a Comment