Friday, November 26, 2010

What I Miss

A friend got me started on this. Look and see how many on my list do you take for granted. You may swop the venues, food, brands and look-alikes with your own favourites.

50 Things I miss about Home
(Actually it’s 51)

Rusks with my coffee
Choices
My own transport
Wearing jeans to school
Extra-mural activities
Cricket at Supersport Park
Watching Rugby at the Dros
Smirnoff Spin on a hot day
Dry white wine, filled with ice
Friendly people
Female cashiers (they don’t exist here, not at all!)
People walking their dogs (no dogs here either)
Dogs barking
Dogs (and I’m not even a dog person)
My beautiful, lovable, adorable cat – she was special
The lovely, lively, outrageous Grade Sevens (it’s the naughty ones I miss the most)
Green lawns (I am going to lie down and kiss the grass)
Huge trees
Red sand
Waves (a sea that is alive)
Woollies food!!!
Pork
TV’s Morning Live and Vuyo (saying hello in all our languages)
Pedestrian crossings
Shopping malls – open all (reasonable) hours
Running water
Hot water from the hot water tap and cold water from the coldwater tap (is that so difficult?)
Plumbing that can deal with loo-paper
Lateral thinking (although it’s not freely available anywhere)
Women’s faces (veils are de-humanising and they can argue this point till hell freezes over!)
Sleeveless tops
African rhythms
Die vlaktes van die Bo-Karoo  (a precious landscape)
Pizza – Romans, Debonairs, anything
Seafood that looks as if it’s been in the sea
The smell of lamb chops on an open fire
The Blue Bulls (when they’re on a winning streak)
Victor Mattfield and other look-alikes
Fastfood outlets (where the food is good and women don’t have separate entrances)
Long walks on sandy beaches
Over the counter medication – sinutabs and disprins (has Panado ever helped anyone?)
The Milky Way and the Southern Cross
Seashells (and sea-urchins) – rock pools!
Newspapers (front page, back page and everything in between)
Sunday lunches with family (friends count as family)
Sundays on a Sunday (this Friday thing doesn’t work for me)
“Hole in the Wall” (good company and a glass of red)
Recycling
Book Club
People I love
Humour (other than my own)

2 comments:

  1. OK. but don't make the list any longer, because it will totally depress us all.
    Is there another list, like
    20 things about "home" that I don't miss.
    OR
    20 things about here that I might eventually miss...

    Or the one day at a time rule, that says what today was actaully ok, if not GOOD?
    Looking out of the window and seeing clouds rolling in over jonkershoek, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did start a list on "things I don't miss" but it turned out so negative and depressing that I quit - hello delete button!

    ReplyDelete