Friday, November 5, 2010

Caution and Kindness

Ibrahim was absent yesterday. He was previously ill. I asked his mother, a teacher, about his absence. This is the story: His brother in matric (A-levels) is at home studying. The maid comes on a Wednesday. The mother doesn’t want to leave her grown son at home alone with the maid, so the 10-year old has to stay too. (as a chaperone!!! ) Man, I’ve seen fathers worry about their daughters, but it is the first time ever that I’ve seen a mother worry about her son in the same way. I still want to ask her whether it is the maid or the son or the situation that’s the worry. She did not tell Ibrahim why she wanted him to stay at home, and I’m sure he did not ask! I have had kids stay at home to take care of younger siblings. Having the roles reversed, is new to me.
Went out shopping today – browsing through Khamsa. It is a busy shop and the isles are narrow. An old Arab man (wife in tow) stepped back and allowed me to pass first. He had kindness in his eyes. In two months I have never seen anything other than blank stares or contempt. To find an Arab who can look at a woman without either lust or contempt, just kindness – I was deeply touched. I bought a crystal-blue glass bowl – also a rare find. When I unpacked my precious bowl, I was overcome by emotion. The old man’s kindness has had a profound effect on me…

No comments:

Post a Comment