Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thursday 25 November 2010

"Look at these jagged rocks. Over time as people walk over it and the sea smashes against it, it becomes smooth. Life’s like that. You can endure hardship. Your life will also smooth out."
- Japanese suicide preventor

50 Reasons to be thankful:
(in no particular order but as they come to mind)

Life goes on.
My parents are still alive.
I haven’t had to bury a child.
I’m in good health.
I lack no food.
I sleep warm.
I’m safe.
I have a job.
I love my job.
I have a loving family.
I have great nieces and nephews.
I have a daughter. We remain connected.
I also have a son. His mother shared him with me.
My husband has not committed suicide.
He has not set our (my) house alight.
He has also not killed me.
I can still travel.
I still have contact with so many wonderful kids whom I’ve taught.
I have great friends.
I belonged to the best book club ever. (Trust I still do.)
I’m not an alcoholic.
I have TV – news channels and Oprah, bless her soul.
I have internet!
I’m discovering and meeting good people.
I can read. And I do.
I have compassion.
I experience kindness.
I’ve lost 6 kg without exercising!
I still find reasons to laugh.
Jonas Desai – discovering new musicians.
I have a garden.
I have a yellow hibiscus tree, and a pink one and red.
I have roses – white and pink (and more to come).
I have a bougainvillea that survived the gardener.
I have a room that faces East.
I still dream.
I still have hope for the future.
I love life.
I haven’t lost faith.
I can joke about adversity (sometimes).
I have two shocking pink cushions.
And a blue vase.
I don’t have to cook.
I can swear in Afrikaans without being offensive.
I don’t have to hide behind a veil.
Guy Manoukian – jazz fusion – another great musician.
I was born in Africa.
I survived history.
I’m still welcome in my own country.
I am able to meet my debts.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! What a wonderful blog and a great reminder for things that we can be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete