Monday, February 28, 2011

Do Not Cut the Bougainvilleas


The king has given us all the day off. Probably trying to keep his subjects happy. The first Saturday in the kingdom that I actually get to spend as a Saturday! Decided to do some gardening. Trying to figure out why I’m paying a gardener. It was a nice day. We went from winter straight into summer. One minute shoes, next minute sandals. It changes as quickly as that.

The cats enjoyed me being at home and pottering in the garden. I stuck to the patio and was getting pots ready. Planted seeds – basil, thyme and oregano as well as some green pepper seeds which I had been saving since November. (The one and only time I made a salad.) In addition, I planted broccoli. Imagine that – broccoli!

Got the seedlings from Elle’s Pakistani neighbour. Really appreciated the gesture. She added some succulents and a very special geranium. All cuttings. Can’t wait to see the results.

My cactus has flowered for the second time since I got here and there is a white rose to complete the picture.

The aloe is also flowering. It is as confused as I am by the sudden onset of summer.


I managed to grow rosemary off three cuttings. It is a first for me. The geraniums are doing well and the stupid snails agree.











I have two bougainvilleas. Must remember to tell the gardener NOT TO PRUNE THEM EVER AGAIN.



Next time (it’ll have to be my Thursday-Saturday) I will have to tackle the side and front. Going to change the side into a sunflower show with three different varieties – standard, teddy bear and music box. I hope it looks as good as it sounds. In the front it will be a mixture of anything that flowers.


My grandfather loved gardening. My mother still does.

No comments:

Post a Comment