Tuesday, January 18, 2011

No Problem

And how is it now, being back?

I checked in all by myself at the Airport. Got myself a Cappuccino and muffin and relaxed. When it was time to board, I walked to the gate and met the others. There were eleven of us who knew each other – teachers and nurses from various places. Teachers have same holidays and flights are limited so you actually meet regularly travelling between Saudi and wherever. I was so relaxed that I almost scared myself. Watched “Happy Feet” during the flight. (own choice) “What’s wrong with being  different? I like different.” Had to spend the night at Jeddah airport, waiting for a connecting flight. Everybody was getting agitated and excited because they should have provided us with a room. I simply found myself a suitable corner and slept as soundly as the pilgrims. Then the flight got delayed and two more hours were added. No problem. And it has been my attitude ever since: No Problem!

Had to get a hospital id. (employees have to) Sounded like schlep and I kept postponing it. Re-energized, I decided to get it done and ran across to security during break-time. Was told to come back later. I asked if I could bring my class along and make them quietly sit outside. They thought it was funny. (I was actually serious.) Got the art teacher to look after my class and promptly returned. Was then told I should get a signature from head of security, “next building, turn right” – Looked at the one with most stripes on the shoulder and said: “Please, can’t you send someone with me to show me? I have gotten lost so often in this place I’ll end up at the Souk” Obviously I amuse them cause someone did walk with me – totally against the norm.  Then it was photos and computer-work (typing very slowly with one finger) and only the senior guy that can do it. I indicated with my fingers that I was looking for the guy with 3 stripes. The junior pointed out that it was actually 5 stripes. Low and behold, I got it done and felt so proud.

Next mission was buying a 3G card for the internet. The 3G adaptor, toggle, dongle, dangle, whatever, was a mission. After work, bus dropped me off at Panda, aka The Store for All. (Busses run every hour.) Got to the counter with four youngsters ahead of me who wanted to look at cellphones, cameras, camcorders etc. Before I could talk to the assistant, it was Sala – and off to prayer they go! An hour later he reappears, taking his sweet time and then starts with the youngsters who had also been waiting. At that point I lost it. “Please, I don’t want to look, I don’t want to test, I don’t want to ask questions or compare. I SIMPLY NEED SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A BANDLUXE STICK SO I CAN GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS FUCKIN SHOP!” That certainly got his attention. “Oh, I saw you an hour ago.” “Yes, and at this rate I’ll be here for another hour cause I’m gonna miss my bus.” I should have had that little outburst sooner because after that things happened quickly, except that I did miss my bus and did have to wait the extra hour. Oooooh, Patience! Got plenty of that now. Shopped for groceries. Read my book. Made the bus (and the others) wait whilst I uploaded my bags (same as all the Filipino ladies) and arrived home, still in one piece. Just to find that my key was now missing. Left everything on the doorstep and ran back to the gatehouse to get spares. Upon my return, found the whole neighbourhood’s cats trying to get to my food…. Still unmoved, still in one piece. One hectic day in the Kingdom! (Couple of days later when I was putting on my running shoes for PE, I found the missing keys!)

The rec. centre organizes weekly outings (free of charge) There are only about four places worth visiting, and I’ve already been to one. I asked around as to how one should go about joining, but none of the veterans seemed to know and had clearly never been. After four years! So kan ek waaragtig nie sit en vrek nie! I’m not like that. Went to the rec. centre. Got introduced to the manager. Booked a place. And it’s as simple as that. (Almost) The outing will only take place if there are at least ten people. My first effort got cut short because there were only nine takers. But I put my name down for the next one and I’ll just keep booking until it one day happens.

Will and I resumed our Thursday (read Saturday) walks to town. I put on my abayah, cover my head (not that I have to, but I’m sure it helps) and off we go. Saudis shop at night so when we go early morning, it’s very quiet. The walk takes us an hour either way. We do it to get exercise, we talk all the way, and sometimes we buy stuff just to make it seem worthwhile. I bought myself blue salad spoons to celebrate the New Year. (Any excuse, as I always say.)  (Don’t worry about Will. He’s a colleague and a friend and offers a degree of protection as a male chaperone – when in Rome…)

My villa has windows on three sides. The fourth wall is joined to the neighbour’s. I have only ever opened the curtains of the sliding door. It opens onto my patio from the bedroom. Totally private. The next window, in the lounge, is by the side and then the front windows look out on the street. I don’t have net-curtains so have kept the curtains drawn. After having returned from my holiday (and four months into my stay), I felt more at ease and more comfortable in my own skin, and opened the side curtains. I realized it was still private and that I could see the mango tree.  And all this time I was missing the beauty of looking at a mango tree!  Then one afternoon I opened my front door to let the sun in. And finally today, I wanted to watch the rain and so opened the front curtains. It’s a secure compound. No strangers prowling around. I’m not scared of “beyond the garden wall” anymore. I live my own life. I let the light in. I find it very symbolic and nurturing. I have weathered the storm and have found calmer waters. I am experiencing my own peace on earth. It may not last. I may encounter new storms. But I’m okay with that. I consider myself exceptionally blessed. What will be, will be.

“I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button‚ movie

2 comments:

  1. Being comfortable in your own skin brings a fantastic feeling of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked this epic piece and can totally relate to it. It was not in vain. The tranquillity in the end is worth it.

    ReplyDelete